CHARACTERISTICS OF ELECTRMAGNETIC RADIATIONS
The important characteristics of electromagnetic radiations are as follow:
1) All the electromagnetic radiations consist of two components, electric and magnetic, at right angle to each other and also at right angle to the direction of propagation.
2) All the electromagnetic radiations travel in vacuum with the speed of light.
3) Electromagnetic radiations are characterized by means of their frequency, wavelength or wave number.
4) Energy can be transmitted through space by electromagnetic radiations. The energy of an electromagnetic radiation is directly proportional to its frequency.
5) The absorption or emission of radiation is quantized and each quantum of radiation is called photon.
All electromagnetic radiations do not require any medium for their propagation….