BLOCK DIAGRAM OF A COMPUTER:
Computer contains five basic units
1) Memory Unit
2) Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU)
3) Input Unit
4) Output Unit
5) Control Unit (CU)
- CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU):
- CPU is the brain of a computer.
- Transform raw data into useful information.
- CPU is responsible for all Processing.
- It has two parts
Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) Control Unit (CU)
Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU):
- It is the part where actual processing takes place.
- It can perform Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Square Roots (etc) and logic operations such as AND, OR (etc) on binary numbers.
Control Unit (CU):
- It tells the computer that, “What specific sequence of operations it must perform”.
- It also specifies timing of the instructions.
- Its function is to Fetch, Decode and Execute instructions that are stored in memory.
- It controls
- Arithmetic Logic Unit
- All Input/Output Devices
- Also called Primary memory or Internal memory.
- Memory is used to store data temporary or permanently.
- Data stored in memory can be used for required task.
- RAM and ROM are most commonly used as main memory.
RAM (Random Access Memory):