- Used in LAN.
- Net Bios is of 13 Characters and Host name is of 65 Characters.
PC1, PC2, Computer 100 (etc.)
- “Name Resolver” converts “Host name or Net Bios or Computer Name” into IP address by performing following steps.
- Check Local name or own name (if not found then next step will be checked)
- Check “LMHosts.sam” File (List of important computer names and their IP address).
C:\ Windows \ System32 \ drivers \ etc \ LMHosts.sam (If not found then next step will be checked)
- RAM table (Net Bios Remote Name Cache table) will be checked. We can view this table by following command
Run → cmd → nbtstat –c
Life time of “IP address” in cache table is 600 seconds. If we want to make empty Cache table then following command will be followed
Run → cmd → nbtstat -r
(If not found then next step will be checked
- Wins Server will be checked.
TCP/IP → Properties → Advanced → Wins
(If not found then next step will be checked)
5. Broad cost on Network (192.168.0.255 is used for broad cost).
- FQDN stands for “Fully Qualified Domain Name”
- Give information about System and Network.
- Normally used in WAN.