1) SYSTEM SOFTWARE OR OPERATING SYSTEM:
- Collection of operative programs whose purpose is to make the use of computer more effective.
- Without system software it’s impossible to operate computer.
- It deals with computer hardware.
- Full fills the need of hardware.
- Enables to start computer.
- Provides CPU managements.
- Provides memory managements.
- Provides storage managements.
- Provides data, files, networking, or input / output devices management.
- Two common types are :Command-Line Interfaces (CLI) Graphical User Interfaces (GUI)
- Examples: Win 98, Win Xp, Ms-DOS, Linux, UNIX (etc)
2) APPLICATION SOFTWARE OR COMPUTER PROGRAMS:
- Fulfill the needs of a user.
- This Software is specially designed according to user’s requirement.
- Such as Typing a Letter, Playing Games, Preparing Payroll.
- Application software is normally supplied as a package, consisting of the following
- Software supplied on Floppy Disk or CD Manual,Training material on CD or in a booklet.
- Examples:Ms-Paint, Ms-Excel, Internet Explorer (etc)