- Protocols are set of rules that transfer data from one location to another.
- Network has many protocols.
- o TCP/IP
- o IEEE 802.X Standard
- o IEEE 802.3 and 802.5 Standard o IEEE 802.6 Standard.
- TCP/IP stands for transmission control protocol/Internet protocols.
- TCP/IP protocol communicates between two similar or dis-similar computer systems.
- Very popular protocol in large networks.
- It is used in Network layer and transport layer.
- Example are 192.168.0.10 10.0.0.15
IEEE 802.X Standard:
- IEEE stands for Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- IEEE has developed a set of standard about cabling, Topology and Access time of network products.
- The general committee working on these standard is called 802.
- This standard is used in lower two layers (Physical & Data Link Layer).
IEEE 802.3 and 802.5 Standard:
- IEEE 802.3 uses carrier sense Multiple Access (CSMA) on bus topology.
- IEEE 802.6 standard used in Token Ring Topology.
IEEE 802.6 Standard:
IEEE 802.6 use in Metropolitan Area Network (MAN).