- Collection of operative programs whose purpose is to make the use of computer more effective.
- It controls all activities (Hardware and Software) of computer.
- Without system software it’s impossible to operate computer.
- It deals with computer hardware.
- Enables to start computer.
- Provides CPU, memory, storage, data, networking, and input / output devices management.
- Examples: Windows 98, Windows Xp, Windows NT, UNIX, Windows 2000, Windows
Vista, Linux, Servers (etc)
- Operating System or System Software has two types. Graphical User Interface (GUI) or Windows Command Line Interface (CLI) or DOS
Introduction to Windows 2000:
- o Windows is the product of Microsoft (Ms).
- o Windows is the interface between Hardware and Application software. o Windows 2000 is also called NT 5.0.
- o Microsoft officially launches it in 2000.
- o Having both Server (Windows 2000 Server) and Client (Windows 2000 Professional) side operating systems.
- o Normally used in network environment.
- o Very powerful and popular than previous operating systems.
- o Like Windows 98 it has Internet Explorer 4.0 into the operating system.
Main feature are: