APPLICATIONS OF THIN LAYER CHROMATOGRAPHY
1. The method is quick, 20-40 min. are sufficient for separation.
2. Because inorganic layers are used as the sorbent, more reactive reagents
can be used to visualize spots than are possible in paper chromatography.
3. The method is considerably more sensitive than paper chromatography; a
lower limit of detection of 10′‘) g is possible in some cases.
4. A wide range of sample sizes can be handled.
5. Thin layer chromatography can be scaled up and adapted to column
6. The equipment for TLC is simple and readily available.
7. No special manipulative skills are required.
8. Experimental parameters are easily varied to separations.