COMPARISON OF THIN-LAYER WITH PAPER CHROMATOGRAPHY
Although TLC is very much similar to paper chromatography yet it is considered to be far superior because of the certain specific reasons as enumerated below:
1. In TLC the separation is the sharpest
2. It requires less time (15-50 mints) and less amount of the substances (0.4mg).
3. Acid can be safely sprayed on TLC plates for identification purpose which is not possible in paper chromatography.
4. The individual spots are less diffused as compared to paper chromatography. Because of this fact the sensitivity of detection is increased several times.
5. TLC plates can be heated to higher temperature without causing any damage to it.
6. Paper chromatography is limited only to cellulose and other media and alumina and silica gel cannot be used because they cannot be made into suitable sheets. But this difficulty can be overcome in TLC where thin layers of these substances are put on plates which are known as chromatoplates.
7. The capacity of thin layers of an adsorbent is higher than that of paper.
8. It is possible to coat the plates, with variety of corrosive reagents that would destroy paper chromatogram.