- Data can Read/Write randomly.
- RAM is used for storage of active programs and data.
- It is a temporary memory.
- It is also called Volatile memory (it will lose all stored data if power is turned off).
- It increases the processing speed of a computer.
- RAM is available in different sizes.
- Also known as Primary memory.
ROM (Read Only Memory):
- It is a permanent memory.
- Data can only Read.
- It is also called Non-Volatile memory (it will not lose stored data if power is turned off).
- Instructions are stored on it during manufacturing.
- Types are
- PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory)
- EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory)
- Input unit is used to communicate with computer.
- Input unit is used to feed Instructions/Commands in computer.
- These devices are often called as “Peripherals”, because they are separated physically from CPU.
- Input data Reads data from user, Converts it to machine code (0 or 1) and then Store it into main memory.
- Some common input devices are Mouse
- Keyboard Joystick
- Scanner (etc).