- Connection of 8 or more wires through which data bits can flow at once.
- It can handle large amount of data.
- Data bits can flow one at a time.
- It can handle less data than Parallel port.
- High-speed memory inside the CPU.
- Very small in size.
- Temporary storage for memory Addresses and Instructions during the execution of the program.
- Read and execute the instructions.
- Processing speed depends upon the size of register.
- Some common registers are
- Instruction Register (IR) Stack Register (SR)
- Memory Address Register (MAR) Program Counter (PC)
- Memory Buffer Register (MBR)
Instruction Register (IR):
Holds an instruction that is being executed.
Stack Register (SR):
It is a part of CPU, in which data is store and retrieved.
Memory Address Register (MAR):
Holds the address of the active memory location.
Program Counter (PC):
Holds the memory address of the instruction that is next to be executed.
Memory Buffer Register (MBR):
Holds data on its way to and from memory.
Three types of system software are
- Operating Systems
- Operating Environment