Main tasks of operating system are
- Disk Operations (Storing Programs and data on disk).
- Network Operations (Sharing of Hardware and Software Resources).
- Multi-tasking (Many tasks can be handle at same time).
- Multi-user (Many people can use computer at same time).
- Enable user to communicate with computer.
- Two common types are
- Command-Line Interfaces
- Graphical User Interfaces (GUI)
Command Line Interfaces:
- Commands are used to perform a task.
- Can perform only single task at a time.
- C:\> (Prompt)
- Every command must be written after Prompt.
- Not very common used today because it is very difficult to remember commands.
Graphical User Interface (GUI):
- Most Common used now a day.
- Apple Computers introduced first GUI in 1984.
- Advantages are
- User Friendly Multi-tasking
- Easy to learn and handle
- No need to Remember Commands
- A GUI have
- Desktop Icons
- Taskbar and Start Button Menus
- Dialog Boxes
- Program Running in Windows
Example: MS-Windows, Linux (Red Hat)