1. Derived from a wealthy, aristocratic family.
2. His advancement in the University.
3. His earnestness with the pastoral duty II. The major theme of his religious lyrics:
- 1. The tensions and anxieties in his relationships to God: as that of friend with friend, but essentially unequal.
- 2. Inability for his poems to praise God.
- 3. A Biblical poetics: relying on the language, metaphors, symbolism of the Bible.
- 4. Emblem poetry: emblem portraying the New Testament Temple in the human heart, Christian as a plant or flower in God’s garden.
- I. Definition: Seize the day, time is fleeting, make love now.
- II. The theme of “trans-shifting” of time.
- III. Anxiety over Old Age and Death.