- Accept data / instruction from the user.
Types of Input Devices
- Light Pen
- Touch Screen
- Optical Input
- Audio Input
- Video Input
- It is the most common input device.
- It has many keys on it so that’s why it is called keyboard.
- It is just like a typewriter.
- A standard keyboard has following special keys.
- Alphabetic (a…..z) or (A…..Z)
- Numeric Digits (0……….….9)
- Functions Keys (F1………F12)
- Symbols (+, – , *, @, #, $,)
- Special Keys (Enter Backspace, Spacebar, Tab, Escape, Print Screen, and Pause/Break…
- Also known as pointing device
- By using mouse we can perform required task in a quick time.
- It has a rubber ball in its base and two or three buttons on it.
- It is normally used for
- Picking some option
- Pointing some option
- Just like a photocopier
- Used to capture images but only from paper.
- Accuracy is much better than video camera.
- Scanners are widely used to get Drawings, Diagrams and Photographs into computer systems for required task.
Two main types are:
1- Handy Scanner
- Used in past,
- Only scan small image,
- Black & White,
- Low cost
- Result is not good.
2- Flat Bed Scanner
- Used in these days,
- Expansive than Handy,
- Good results, Scan full page image.
- Kind of Input device
- Used to play only games
- Work like a mouse or keyboard.
- Used to write notes or short messages
- Directly used on screen or on special pad.
- Also used as pointing device, like a mouse
- Not used to enter large amount of text.
- Also use to input signature or messages on graphic images such as a fax
- Device that allowing the user to place a fingertip directly on the computer screen to make a selection
- Commonly used at
- Fast-food restaurants
- Departmental stores
- Drug store
- Supermarkets etc
Device that can read Numbers, Letters, Special Characters, and Marks
Different Types are
- OMR(Optical mark recognition) Mark Sensing, Bank cheque,etc
- OCR(Optical character reader) Light Source sales tags, creditcard slips
- BCR(Bar code reader) scanned and read, Known as Zebrastrip or UPC
- Microphones are used to record speech.
- It makes communication (Voice chatting and Phone calls) very easy.
- Microphones are also used in speech recognition (Voice Recognition) programs.
- In speech recognition programs user can dictate to the computer instead of typing.
- Translating voice to text using special software.
The common video inputs are:
- Used for videoconferencing
- Attached with PC
- Work much like as video camera
- Cost depends on type