- Language is used for communication.
- For communication with computer we need some languages are called Computer languages or Programming languages.
- Set of instructions given to computer to perform a task is called computer program.
- Instructions are written according to some rules are called computer language or Programming Languages.
TYPES OF PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES:
Three main types are
- Machine Language
- Assembly Language
- High Level Language
- All coding will be in form of 0s and 1s are called Binary Code.
- Difficult to learn and understand.
- Symbols are used instead of binary code
- Easier than Machine Language but hard to learn.
High Level Language (HLLs):
- Instructions are written in these languages are very Close to Human Language.
- Very powerful than Machine and Assembly Languages.
- Easier to Learn and Understand.
- Used for writing application programs.
- Examples are BASIC, C, C++, COBOL (etc)
Characteristics (Features) of High Level Language:
- Machine Independent (Program written in high level language can be run on any computer system).
- Well defined Syntax and Standard (Syntax are rules to write a source code).
- Easy to Learn and Understand (Easy to learn as compare to machine languages).
- Shorter Programs (Programs are shorter than programs written in machine language).
- Source is understandable by other programmers (Instructions are written in English words so any programmer can understand source code).
- A Computer Program written in a High Level Language is called Source Code.
- Computer can’t run this Program.
- Computer Program in the form of machine language (0, 1) is called object code.
- Computer can run this code directly.
TRANSLATORS OR LANGUAGE PROCESSORS:
Common translators are
- Translate source code into object code as whole.
- Saves Compiled file called Object file .
- Computer will run object file.
- If there is any error in the source program, compiler tells about error at time of compilation.
- All errors must be removed for successful compilation.
- Translate source instructions one by one and executes them immediately.
- If any error occur program tells about error and stops program execution.
- Does not make object file.
- Slow and Time Consuming method.