Lecture # 1 Hardware Requirement for a Computer Network:
- NIC Card or LAN Cards or Ethernet Card
- Wires (UTP Cat5)
- RJ-45 Connectors
- HUB / Switch
- NIC Card having RJ-45 Port.
- Slot is called PCI.
- NIC Card having a chip called NPU (Network Processing Unit).
- NPU is responsible for Sending / Receiving data.
- NPU has further two chips inside.
RX(Receive data from wires)
TX(Transmit data to motherboard)
- RJ-45 having 8 pins.
- 1, 2 wires for Transmit
- 3, 6 wires for Receive
- Remaining 4 wires are for future use.
- 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps use all 8 wires for communication.
TYPES OF NIC CARD:
- Ethernet (Common used)
- Token Ring (Old Technology)
- FDDI (Costly)
- ATM (Very Costly)
- Wireless (Less Speed, No Security)
- Ethernet Card (100 Mbps)
- Used Ethernet Card having Cost (Rs. 50)
- Switch Speed is 100 Mbps
- 1 Gbps Ethernet Card (Rs. 1200)
- 100 Mbps Switch (Rs. 1200-1400)
- Normally used in Computer Labs.
- Fiber Card
- Fiber Cable (Rs. 3000-4000)
- Very Costly Network
- Very Fast Communication
- Processing Speed is very fast
- Media converters are used between Fiber network and other network.
- Normally used in Server Rooms
- Basically designed for Audio and Video Conferencing.
- Very Expensive Technology.
- ATM Cards and ATM Switches are used.
- Normally used as ISP back bone, Manager Rooms (etc)
NETWORK OF TWO COMPUTERS: