- Introduced in 1990s.
- Partition is Un-limited.
- Partition is called “Volume” in this standard.
- We can also create one partition of two disks.
- Supports Windows 2000, Xp and 2003 Server.
- “Disk Management” (Product of “Veritas Corporation”) tool is used for volume.
- Dynamic disk can’t be read in win98.
- Partition Magic can’t apply on Dynamic Disk.
- This standard is not used practically because this is software based and if operating system fails then we can’t access volumes.
- Types of partitions are
- Simple Volume
- Spanned Volume
- Stripe Volume
- Mirror Volume
- RAID5 Volume
Same as “Basic Disk Standard” but we can create volume as per requirement.
- We can create one volume of more than one hard disks.
- Data will Read/Write through 1st drive, then 2nd drive, then 3rd drive and so on.
- Normally used in “Exchange Server”.
- (e.g.) 600 GB + 600 GB + 300 GB = 1500 GB
- Enhanced form of “Spanned Volume”.
- In this method data will Read / Write simultaneously from all disks
- If one drive fails then all data will be lost.
- If we create one volume through 100 GB + 100 GB then capacity shows 100 GB in this method instead of 200 GB.
- 2nd drive will save all data of first drive automatically (Mirror copy of first drive).
- In this method both Hard disks should be same Company, same RPM, same Cache and same Size is recommended.
- Used for taking backup normally.
- We can use only 2 drives.
- If both drives fail then data can’t be recovered.