- It stands for Local Area Network.
- LAN normally operates within a compact area such as an Office Building or a Campus.
- LAN is capable of interconnecting a large number of computers and other devices within 1 Km.
- Speed of Data Transmission is 10/100 mbps.
- Cost is low.
- Success Rate of Data Transmission is almost 100%.
- Examples: Computer Labs of Institutions, Computer Network in an Office, etc.
- It stands for Wide Area Network.
- WAN interconnects different Sites, User Terminals, and enable LANs to Communicate with each other.
- Used to Communicate to Nationwide or Worldwide.
- Transmission medium used are Telephone Lines, microwave and Satellite links.
- Speed of Data Transmission is 1800 to 9600 bits per second.
- High Cost as Compare to LANs.
- Success Rate of Data Transmission is less than LAN.
- Examples: Internet, Network of all Branches of a Bank.
CLIENT/SERVER NETWORK or DEDICATED SERVER NETWORK:
- Used both in LANs and WANs.
- Clients (nodes) are attached to a Server via some medium (Cable, Telephone Lines, Satellite Link, Microwave, etc.)
- Usually Used for Database Server.
- Common features are Receiving Data Storing Data ,Sending E-mail Printer Sharing Security
- Usually used in LANs.
- Sometimes Called a Workgroup.
- No Central Computer (Server).
- All Computers having equal Functionality.
- A Single computer will be Server when it will serve to other computer and a Client when it will request for some data to other computer.