There are two types of network.
- Dedicated server network or client server network.
- Peer-to-Peer network.
Dedicated server network:
- Normally used in both in LAN and WAN.
- There is a server with many clients.
- Server can provide
- o File sharing
- o Printer sharing
- o Application sharing
- o Access to the internet
- o Security
- Normally used in LAN.
- Also called workgroup.
- No central computer (Server).
- All computers are having equal functionality.
- A single computer will be server when it will serve to other Computers, and become a client when request for resources to Other.
- Software, which provide feature for communication.
- These software’s are also called networking operating system (NOS).
- Examples are WIN XP, WIN 2000, LINUX, and UNIX etc.
Workgroup Computing and Groupware:
- A workgroup is a collection of individuals working in a task.
- They can send e-mail to each other’s, shared data and schedule meetings.
- Groupware is software that supports work group computing.